Why Go Google-Free?
With the use of Google being so widespread, only a handful of people are really willing to give up their access to Google’s suite of apps and the Play Store. There are many reasons why one would might want to make the effort that are listed below:
- Google has clearly gotten out of hand
- Users may wish to increase their privacy
- Users prefer an open source operating system
Why You Shouldn't Go Google-Free
- Get used to slower updates
- Users will be forced to give up a lot of applications
- Greater security risks
Which Apps You Can Use Out-of-the-Box
If users have thought things through, here is a glimpse of the experience one can expect to find when they choose not to sign in through their Google account. What they can see will of course, vary, depending on their device. Even without installing a single app, today's smartphones are more than capable of doing a great deal. Users can place calls, take photos, send text messages, keep a calendar, take notes, listen to music, solve math problems, as well as browse the web any additional software.
How functional your phone can be out-of-the-box will mostly depend on the manufacturer of your device. Samsung, HTC and LG devices come with a variety of pre-installed apps that are specific only to the company's devices. They will continue to work even without syncing devices to a Google account.
However, users of Nexus devices may find the situation a little bit more challenging because the gadgets come heavily loaded with Google software.
How to Get More Applications and Alternatives
There are several alternative app stores for Android, the user preferences of which will vary depending on why users are choosing to go without the Play Store.
- Amazon Appstore
- Mobogenie Market
- Directly download apps from the browser: CNET, APK Mirror, etc
Replace Must-Have Features
- Web browsing and search
- To-do lists and notes
Key Takeaways from "How to Use Android Without Google":
- How users can live without the services of Google Play
- What if one keeps using Google Play services
- Whether using an Android phone without Google is worth it
- Why one should and shouldn't go Google-free: Pros and cons
- How to get more application options
Download and read the whitepaper to know everything about how one can effectively use an Android operating system without Google, alternative options for Google and the pros and cons of doing so.