In the era of the highly-connected connected concepts likes Internet of Things (IoT) and the rise of the cloud, companies are facing increased security threats to their networks. Which has resulted into networks being less monolithic, legacy architectures and more distributed, microservice-based networks. With large-scale data breaches making headlines, Even if it is a small startup or an enterprise organization, security should be a top priority since the large-scale data breaches are taking a toll over the market with every passing minute. Similarly IT security has become of prime importance since hackers have gotten smarter and its important to know how to get over their tactics of threatening the IT processes.
What is CybersecurityCybersecurity is a combination of technologies, processes and controls hat are designed to protect systems, networks and data from cyber attacks. Instances like the risk of cyber attacks can definitely be reduced due to effective cybersecurity. Implementing cybersecurity also protects against the unauthorised exploitation of systems, networks and technologies. The process of cybersecurity involves implementing controls based on three pillars: people, processes and technology. These three factors help organisations defend themselves from both common internal threats, such as accidental breaches and human error as well as organised attacks.
Challenges of CybersecurityThe rate at which big-data and machine learning techniques are increasing being used has primarily given rise to most of the IT security threats. in order to tackle security concerns the organizations are required to be knowledgeable enough to handle any kind of situation. There are also best practices that organizations can follow to better protect their company's it. But in spite of everything there are certain challenges that companies face which further lead to be major challenges for companies. The challenges include:
- Keeping with new technology
- Growing cyber skills gap
- Security needs a multi-pronged approach
- Big data stores creates new challenges
How Leading Organizations are Responding to Cybersecurity ThreatsWhen a cyber attack strikes, organizations are more often than not left helpless due to their lack of knowledge to tackle with it. But since the concept of cybersecurity has become well know in the industry, certain big brands have implemented solutions that have helped them to deal with the a cyber attack better. The steps takes by firms to handle cyber attcsk are:
- Having backup plans and systems
- Possession of preventative/detection systems
- Developing disaster recovery/business continuity strategies
- Implementing end-user security policies.
Key Takeaways from "IT Security: New Analytics-Driven Model"
- The priority given to cybersecurity is only increasing with every passing year and organizations have started this concept seriously
- People related issues are biggest challenges to maintaining cybersecurity
- A whole range of technologies are being used by organisations in order to implement cybersecurity
- In order to fight cyber attacks organisations have come up with cybersecurity threat models