Selecting a new project management (PM) system is a big endeavor because companies have to spend their time and resources to research all prospective software compare it with its user adoption after implementation. Software buyers want to improve the ease of use so that more users actually invest in the tool and use it. An easy way to go about selecting the PM software for your company is by creating a Needs Cycle. When creating this Needs Cycle, potential buyers should do the following:
- Discuss with people who have already bought the PM software and find out about its functionality and its user base.
- Research on the software advisors and before selecting the applications companies need to feature in the Needs Cycle.
- The cycle should have additional signs of growth for the software as well as future development in the company such as project managers and other ongoing projects..
3 PM Software Applications You Need to StartFor companies who are selecting their first project management software, they need basic applications that will help set up PM processes, such as:
What it does:Task management software helps in scheduling tasks and assigning them to users, along with other attributes like priority, status of completion, and more. They can be to-do lists as well along with notifications to alert all users.
Why you need it to start:All successful project teams need task management, especially with small teams. Switching from manual means to a task management solution can drastically improve your project success rate.
What it does:Users can record the time spent on each task in the project per user, per task, per project and managers can track them. They have timesheets and classifications as well.
Why you need it to start:Time tracking and task management go hand in hand and they help teams establish basic PM processes, such as the steps and time required to get the desired result. This helps in improving the efficiency in project planning.
What it does:Scheduling your project means you plan the start date and date of completion and other important milestone dates in the process. Users create a breakdown structure and a path for the project using visual tools. This helps in identifying tasks and their dependencies and constraints that could impact the project timeline. After the beginning of a project, scheduling helps in tracking the project timeline.
Why you need it to start:Scheduling helps create benchmarks to measure project success so that users can show it to other stakeholders for accurate predictions about the project.
- Project Management software helps companies plan and execute their projects better
- Users can plan their projects, assign tasks and create timelines to track the project's progress